Flying to Germany–Or One of the Most Stressful Days of My Life

Though we have been here for nearly 4 months, I have unfortunately lagged behind in sharing our fabulous (Okay it’s not all that fabulous) adventures in Germany.

We boarded the Lufthansa plane at about 3pm on January 8th at the Dallas/Fort-worth  airport.  But I’m going to back track just a tad.

We had to take our van to the shipping agency before our flight to Germany. So while the kids packed up our stuff in the hotel room, we went out in search of a car wash. They won’t ship a dirty car.

It was a gloomy day and it had rained the day before, so the car washes were all closed! Who closes a car wash just because it’s a bit damp outside? Texans that’s who!

Now we are running out of time. We have to get to our appointment.  We drive and drive and just can’t seem to find this darn place! We finally find it–and we are 30 minutes late.   They send us to a car was around the corner that is open.  In the meantime, I am worried about the kids.  The shuttle was due to pick us all up in the next hour, but the car thing will take about an hour. The hotel is 30 minutes away.

I call the shuttle company and have them change the pick-up time. Crisis averted–or so I think! I sit around and wait while hubby takes care of the car thing.

My daughter calls. She said the shuttle driver has arrived! What the #!@$&?!? I speak to the driver. He said that the afternoon schedule is booked, so it’s either take the kids (and the big dogs) to the airport, or find another mode of transportation.

My daughter is a mature 15 yr-old and my son, well he’s a typical 13 yr-old boy. Do I trust the driver? Do I trust my daughter? Do I have any options?

Okay. I take a deep breath and tell the driver that these kids are my LIFE. Please take them, help them unload the van and put all our bags and the dogs in front of the Lufthansa check-in.  My daughter will give him $20 only if he follows my instructions to the letter.

The taxi arrives to pick me and my husband up from the car shipping place.  We are 20 minutes from the airport. My kids are on their way as well.  The van is good to go and will arrive in Germany in about a month. We head off to the airport.  Hubby is having a grand conversation in front with driver while I sit in the back and chew my nails down to nubs.

We pull up to the Lufthansa departure entrance. Right behind the shuttle that brought my kids.  He had just finished helping them bring all of our stuff into the airport and was about to leave.  I handed him another $20, shook his hand, and told him was my knight in shining armor today.  He tried to give me my money back, but I wouldn’t take it. I told him to take the $40 dollar tip and take his special someone out to dinner.  He said that he was going to use it for his son’s birthday present instead.

Now it was time to check in, get the dog crates approved, and find coffee.

It is just after 12pm.  Our flight is in about 3 hours.  The dogs look miserable in their crates.  I’m a ball of tangled nerves, and my kids are arguing.  I needed a shot of Tequila at this point, but settled for Starbucks instead.

I will skip all of the waiting. You’ve probably been to the “waiting place” so I’m sure you know how mind numbing it is.

It is finally time to board. We are at the very back of the plane.  If you have to fly coach to Europe, I recommend Lufthansa. I felt like it was at least Business Class. The seats were comfy, the attendants were fantastic, and the food was delicious.

My teenagers on a 9.5 hour flight.
My teenagers on a 9.5 hour flight.

From Dallas/Fort-worth, the flight took 9.5 hours.  I don’t sleep well on planes. I’m not afraid of hijackers, snakes, or of little gremlins tearing the wings apart. I’m afraid of crashing. engine failure. small spaces. heights.  I get a bit claustrophobic and rarely use elevators.  9.5 hours in a tin can flying across hard land and even harder water (yes harder–it’s a scientific fact) going a gazillion miles an hour was not fun.

Every time I dozed off I would wake suddenly to turbulence. I would look over at my hubby–sound asleep–and my kids who were wide awake and enjoying the movie selection.  Lufthansa has great movie screens embedded in the seat directly in front of you.

I watched at 3 movies.

We finally arrived in Frankfurt on January 9th at 9am.

We lost half a day.

Picked up our luggage, found our poor freaked out puppies and finally located our Military contacts. They loaded up the van and the station wagon and drove us to our hotel.  It was a 4 hour drive on the autobahn–and I slept.

The hotel would be our home for the next 9 days.

Army Hotel
Army Hotel
Our first "Home" in Germany
Our first “Home” in Germany

The kids and dogs shared a room while hubby and I had a room to ourselves.

Once we arrived, I felt a sudden drop in blood pressure and an urge to enter a coma sleep.

More to come on our first month in Bavaria soon.

7 thoughts on “Flying to Germany–Or One of the Most Stressful Days of My Life”

    1. Thanks for stopping by Hausfrau. While it wasn’t pleasant or ideal, it did add to my list of stories to share with my future grand kids–and the blogging world. I’m just glad that we don’t have to repeat it any time soon!


    1. I’m glad you enjoyed reading it! To be honest with you, I laughed a bit as I wrote it. I don’t want to repeat it, but it is rather comical–like something from a good comedy movie. I am happy to report that I have fully recovered.

      And you’re welcome! Love what you did with that clock!


  1. I just found your blog after visiting Brenda’s Cozy Little House…just curious. I really enjoyed your post about your trip…I know it wasn’t much fun, I can get rattled on a simple 3 hour road trip. And I’m looking forward to hearing about your life in Germany. I hope everything is going well with you and your family (and pups!).



    1. Thanks for stopping by Jane! I am currently working on a series of posts about our first two months here in Germany that will be posted soon. I am also working on the tour of our new home. I look forward to getting know you.


  2. Wow this is an adventure that reminds me of my childhood. My dad was posted in Germany and we had 5 kids and mom was pregnant with her sixth. She had to take our car to NYC and took a boat from there to Germany! Looking forward to more…and thanks for stopping by my blog!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s