While perusing the dishes at the thrift store, hunting for teacups & saucers, I came across a set of Coca Cola dinnerware and serving dishes. My first thought was…Cool! After sticker shock (dinner plates and bowls were 1.99 each, and the serving dishes were 3.99 each), I walked away and continued my search for teacups. It just so happened that they didn’t have anything very unique that I fell in love with. So naturally I went back to the Coca Cola dishes. Then I remembered a really cool tiered serving dish that I made a few years ago with matching plates, a dollar store candlestick, and some E -6000 glue (I swear by this glue–it’s the BEST). Well I had to argue with myself for a bit because the dishes had a blue tag, and the sale color was green. I am SO
cheap frugal that I don’t even like to pay “full price” at the thrift store!
Well, I just knew that these wouldn’t be on the shelf for long, so coming back later was a bad idea. I swallowed my urge to walk away and placed them in my basket.
But now I had a new problem…I needed two candlesticks that would compliment the style of the dishes. I told myself that if I didn’t find the perfect candlesticks, then I would put the dishes back. Then I saw three gold candlesticks in the corner of my eye. With dishes in tow, walked over to the shelf, took the candle sticks down and gave them a good look over. Then I sat down right there in front of the shelf and tried them out with the dishes. They were perfect! So the two that worked best went right into my basket. Thank goodness the candlesticks were on sale for 69 and 79 cents!
The gold finish on the ceramic candlesticks had to go. I didn’t want a slick surface to work with because I was afraid that even if I primed them, the new paint would not stick. I also needed to remove the foam bottom. So after cleaning off the foam with a razor blade and some Goof Off (yes it is toxic, but I LOVE this stuff!), I sanded the candlesticks.
When I was satisfied with the surface, I washed them with a vinegar and water solution. After they had dried completely (about an hour later) I gave them a nice even coat of primer. They looked so much better!
Now it was time to decide on a paint color. Glossy black? Glossy White? Heck no! Red enamel paint would look perfect!
After two coats of Rustoleum Gloss Apple Red paint, the candlesticks were the perfect color! Unfortunately I forgot to take a solo picture of them.
Find the center of your plate and mark it with a Sharpie or other permanent pen.
In my excitement I also forgot to take a picture of the next two steps.
First, apply E-6000 glue to the top of the candlesticks. Allow the glue a moment to get a little tacky…about 1 minute (but don’t wait too long or it won’t adhere well to the plate) then place the candlestick over your center mark. Next, Apply the glue to the bottom of the candlestick (which is now facing up). Again, let the glue sit for about a minute. Place the on top. Press down. You may hear bubbles pop as the air escapes.
Allow the glue to cure for at least 24 hours.
Using an Exacto blade, trim and scrape excess glue around the edges of the candlesticks.
The one that I made about three years ago is still in perfect condition after many uses and dips in hot soapy water. My daughter gave it a trip through the dishwasher once or twice (I don’t recommend it though).